Engineered to mimic the structure and function of real teeth, dental implants provide a secure alternative to natural teeth and are used to replace missing teeth. A titanium implant post is fused to the jawbone for a stable foundation, on which goes an abutment that connects to the restoration that caps the implant. This restoration is designed to look and function like the real thing for a seamless smile.
The Significance of Bone Grafting in Dental Implants
In situations where the jawbone lacks adequate density or volume to support dental implants, bone grafting may become necessary. Bone grafting involves the addition of bone material to the deficient section of the jawbone. This stimulates bone regeneration and establishes a robust foundation to facilitate successful implant placement. The bone grafting process generally necessitates several months for proper healing and integration before dental implant surgery can be performed.
Are Dental Implants the Right Choice for Me?
At TruCare Dental, we understand that each patient’s dental needs are unique. You might be an ideal candidate for dental implants if you:
- Have one or more missing teeth
- Possess sufficient jawbone density, if not, bone grafting might be an option
- Have healthy oral tissues
- Are seeking a long-term solution
We encourage you to have a consultation with our experienced dentists, Dr. Andrea Patterson or Dr. Danella Zimmer, to discuss your specific needs and determine if dental implants are right for you.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- Enhanced Oral Function: This treatment restores the ability to chew, bite and speak effectively, enabling comfortable and efficient oral functioning.
- Improved Aesthetic Appeal: Possessing a natural appearance and seamlessly blending with adjacent teeth, dental implants produce an aesthetically pleasing outcome, augmenting the overall beauty of the smile.
- Long-Term Resilience: Dental implants are intended as a permanent solution to missing teeth. With appropriate care and maintenance, they can endure a lifetime.
- Preserved Jawbone Health: Chewing and using your teeth and mouth promotes good jawbone health. By replacing a missing tooth with a dental implant, you help to preserve your facial structure, which prevents the sagging or sunken look that may arise due to bone deterioration.
- Restored Confidence and Self-Esteem: Dental implants empower individuals to smile, speak and eat without apprehension, reinstating their self-assurance and enhancing their overall quality of life.
For more information about dental implants in Albuquerque, New Mexico, contact TruCare Dental at 505-369-3852 to meet with our dentists and schedule a one-on-one meeting with Dr. Andrea Patterson, Dr. Danella Zimmer or Dr. .
What to Expect
The dental implant process at our office is a journey to a brighter, more confident smile, and here is what you can expect:
- Initial Consultation: Our team will conduct a thorough examination, including X-rays or 3D imaging, to plan the best course of action.
- Preparation: If necessary, preparatory procedures like tooth extraction or bone grafting are performed.
- Implant Placement: Under local anesthesia, the titanium implant is placed into your jawbone, marking the beginning of the fusion process with your bone.
- Healing Period: This may take several months, during which the implant integrates with your jawbone.
- Abutment Placement: Once healing is complete, an abutment is attached to the implant post.
- Restoration: Finally, a custom-made crown is attached to the abutment, giving you a natural and functional smile.